Are you looking for a therapist or coach for Asperger’s Syndrome or high-functioning autism?
XF Coaching can help you identify your strengths and overcome your obstacles!
We all have strengths and weaknesses. We all have skills that are well-developed and others that are less well-developed. Executive functioning skills are one of the key areas of challenge for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (which include Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism), and this is what XF Coaching focuses on. We first assess your unique executive skills profile, and then develop a plan to help you build the skills you need to function at your best.
Contact me today for a FREE XF life coaching session and let's get started!
What are executive functioning skills and why are they important?Executive functioning skills are essential to getting along in life. These are the skills that enable you to plan ahead, organize your work, make good use of your time, remember names, dates and appointments, divide tasks into achievable steps, regulate your impulsivity, and more. Deficits in executive skills can make what appear to others to be be simple everyday tasks feel overwhelming, and can lead to low self-esteem, fatigue, procrastination and avoidance.
Because Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) exist on a continuum of severity, executive skills weaknesses also range from mild to significant in their severity and impact on one's life. Many people with ASD experience challenges with the following areas of executive functioning:
- Thinking and responding flexibly
- Task initiation
- Time management
- Planning and prioritizing time and activities
A simple way to characterize the importance of the role of executive skills is to imagine that the part of the brain that governs these skills has the same responsibility as the head of a company, such as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The CEO's role is to:
- Respond to immediate demands
- Create long- and short-term goals
- Manage the infrastructure
- Plan for the future of the company
- Track all operations
- Allocate resources
- Oversee relations between departments, and
- Steer the company on the best possible course
The frontal lobe part of the brain is like the CEO. Its job is to think about and manage multiple operations and needs, to respond in flexible ways, to take initiative, to be innovative, to look at the big picture, and to organize each system to be efficient and to work collaboratively as a whole with the other departments and operations.
Many times each day, the “CEO” (executive skills part of the brain) responds to the internal or external demand that says, “What should I do next? What are the possibilities to consider here?”
If you have executive skills deficits, those answers are not readily available. It’s hard to think and act in your own best interest, which can feel frustrating. Your CEO has a lack of communication from all the “departments,” so decisions are made without enough information or planning.
How can XF Coaching help?
Your XF coach acts as the CEO for your life, while helping you to build the skills you need to be your own CEO!These are just some of the things your coach can help someone suffering with Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning Autism learn to do:
- Divide complex tasks into easily achievable steps.
- Create a schedule that best utilizes your time.
- Devise strategies for being flexible and adaptable to changing demands.
- Take initiative in doing tasks and activities that are essential to your progress in school or work.
- Develop and utilize an effective organizational system for your work, school and home.
- Manage daily tasks such as filling out forms, making phone calls, writing resumes, or completing assignments.
- Take care of personal needs such as cooking, laundry, shopping, cleaning, exercise, health care, finding a job, or going to school.
- Build relationship skills, such as communication or setting boundaries with your friends and family.
A successful, meaningful and manageable life can be yours!
We all have areas in our life where we need support. With your own personal XF coach, you no longer have to struggle with Asperger's Syndrome or Autistic Spectrum Disorder, alone. Having someone on your team can make all the difference in turning the potential for your life into a reality.
Your XF coach is your guide and partner to work with you on strategies for success!
Your Asperger's coach will help you:
- Make good choices that define and build your character.
- Develop tools and strategies you need to live a life of excellence.
- Feel empowered and motivated to pursue your dreams.
XF coaching is not a replacement for psychotherapy, but it is an invaluable adjunct intervention if your issues include deficits in executive functioning skills. Your XF coach focuses on practical solutions to problems in everyday life, and will teach you strategies for organizing your home and work environment, structuring your day, and managing your life. It’s the help you’ve been waiting for!
Call us today at 831-332-0040 to schedule a free consultation.